Saturday, June 20, 2009

First Time Camper


Well, we are busy packing shorts and bathing suits to get M2 off to tennis camp. This is the first time she has gone to an overnight camp, and I can still recall the excitement I always had when packing for my summers at Camp C'Andy. She, however, will be in a dorm with A/C so its not quite the steamy experience I had. I have been telling her how I had friends that I mostly saw in the summer at camp, and maybe this will be like that. I don't think I will tell her the following, though....


-when my friend and I froze all the silverware and hid the cereal and the cook (of like 500 years) threatened to quit that morning.

-scaring the s-h-i-t out of another girl at the cemetary who we talked into going with us that night

-putting saran wrap over the toilets in the main bathroom

-then vaseline the next night

-locking the staff in the staff cabin during their morning meeting then spraying them down with hoses through the screen walls

-moving a girls bed all the way out to the hill and setting up her area just how it looked in the cabin

-walking the entire length of the camp wrapped only in a raft because somebody took our bathing suits because we were skinny dipping

I think there are more 'adventures', because I went every summer for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm sure she will begin making her own memories, and I'll secretly smile remembering my own. Man it was fun.

LYMosquitosandSunburnGuts,
Bj

2 comments:

Ruby said...

This doesn't surprise me ONE LITTLE BIT, BJ! Between you and Thystle, I don't know who was worse at camp! (But I'd really like to hear more of your stories!)

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

My girls went to Space Camp on Thursday night and then we went to Yellowstone for the weekend. I heard all kinds of stories on the way home. My wife talked about how her and her brother tied up the baby sitter one day and my girls told a story about sneaking off from their baby sitter on a tricycle and a little four wheeler. My brother-in-law realized they were taking off and ran outside and swooped in and grabbed the youngest daughter while the oldest went racing off around the corner into the circle. Her sister was yelling the whole time, "Run, Jeni! Run!" I can just imagine what's coming in their future.