Thursday, October 1, 2009

What Would You Do?


Imagine, getting a phone call from a very good friend/co-worker. You know he has been going through a hard time, but you haven't talked to him in a while (different schedules). And the phone call is to tell you that he has taken 40 Valium and would you just stay on the phone to talk until he goes to sleep?????????????????????????????


This DID NOT happen to me, but a very good friend. She calls me frantic (he hung up on her) and says what do I do? She doesn't know his address or anything. I say call your employer and tell them what is going on. So she does, the employer is able to get the police over to his house where he is now in the garage with the car running. Ok, guess he was serious about this, but he has two kids. Young kids.


Now he is in a Psych Ward somewhere, but has managed to call my friend two times and tell her that she betrayed him, blah blah blah.

Would you have done the same thing?

LYSeriousStuffGuts,


Bj

11 comments:

Mo said...

Pff. The dude's alive, and not dead. I'm sure his kids wouldn't think of this person (your friend) as a betrayer.

Hopefully, treatment will help him realize that. Also, I'd say that calling someone in the throes of a "suicide" is a definite call for a lifeline.

(to answer your question, yeah. I'd do the same.)

Lorrie Veasey said...

i would have called 911 myself and not paused to call the boss. The phone call was a call for help. Many people who kill themselves don't provide this window of opportunity to save them. Sadly I know this from personal experience. Had the person I lost to suicide called anyone i hope to hell that they would have gotten 911 over there as quick as humanly possible.

Bj in Dallas said...

I agree- but she had no info as to where he was, and also, luckily their employer is very huge about helping through crisis, etc. No chance of job loss, and he wasn't on company time.

I think he will thank her, might take a while though.

jessicabold said...

OH MY. Well, I certainly would have done SOMETHING...but I have no idea what...I'm just glad he "made it through" and hopefully can get some help.

http://www.booshy.wordpress.com

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

I would of done the same thing.
Your friend did some quick thinking. I think if I knew his full name I would of also called 911 and at least tried another approach. She is lucky she was able to reach their boss. It could have turned south fast.

Robin said...

In a heartbeat!! He'll thank her later. No doubt in my mind. She did the right thing.

Krëg said...

Yeah, people don't call others if they are serious about killing themselves. Like LV, I also know this from experience.

Sheila said...

Ditto on what LV & Kreg said -- losing someone to suicide is awful, and the fact that he called her says something. He will not think of her as a betrayer when his head is clearer.

She TOTALLY did the right thing.

Fe said...

I've been in this exact same situation.

I rang a psych hospital, called my friends' husband, and got her admitted.

Her pleas to me continued, and every time I would tell her doctor and suffer her anger and perceived hatred towards me as a consequence.

The great thing is that she can't remember any of it now. And she is incredibly grateful to me for everything that I did to help save her.

She's not completely better, but she's a lot better than she was when these things happened (12 months ago).

daddio rivers said...

I,m back!!!
Yes I would have done the same thing, in fact I have done the same thing. Do you remember Dale Bishop? He pulled that crap on me, he was in Tulsa and I was at home in Mo. I called his ex brother in law and he intervened.
Saved his life what was left of it.
Daddio

Zakary said...

Holy damn.

She did the right thing.

If he wanted to kill himself, he should have kept it to his damnn self.