Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Looking for a new hobby? I can hook you up...


While looking for any remedy for dealing with mountains of dog hair, I kept reading down the list that Google had provided. There are brushes, dog oils, $100 shampoos, vitamins, you name it, someone has created something to rid your life of it.

However, this is the one that caught my eye:

What to do with the Dog Hair?
If you groom your dog regularly, you can always make good use of your dogs fur coat by making something warm for yourself! Some people might have a problem wearing the fur of their loved one, why not make a special keepsake or memento out of it?
Remarkably, spinning dog hair into yarn makes an incredible material! Dog fur can be up to 80% warmer than wool, it is extremely durable, and fluffs over time to a soft cashmere like touch. People make all sorts of things out of their dogs fur, from
sweaters and scarf’s, to socks and mittens.

So don't be surprised when that Colonel Sanders album shows up, there's a little scarf wrapped around it in the multi-colors of Scottie, Lab/Healer, and Basset Hound.

Wucky u......

L Y 80% warmer guts,
Bj

27 comments:

Racie Lover said...

That is just disturbing as all get out.

Krëg said...

Yeah, I must second the "disturbing" vibe.

The best way I found to deal with my dog hair problem was to pull up all the carpet (hardwoods underneath) and then dry mop all the fur/dander/dust into a pile and suck it up with a shop-vac. Twice a week seems to handle most of it this time of year. I still haven't cracked the riddle of how to get/keep dog hair off the furniture or curtains, although I'm thinking the answer is leather couches/chairs and those giant wooden interior blinds/shutters.

Bj in Dallas said...

or no dogs.........

kreg
you could get a Swedish hooker that owns a Dyson

Amy said...

I have everything that Kreg mentioned and a dyson. I LOVE my dyson. I wish I could make love to it. Actually, be right back...

I need a cigarette now. I have the dyson because I am such a woman. I put a rug on the wood floors. Pointless, yes. Purty, indeed.

I'm glad that I found your blog via the our name is mud blog. You so coo.

Miss Thystle said...

On BBC, where I get all my most interesting news, I saw a lady wearing a sweater she made after shaving her dead dog. And it was an ugly sweater. You'd think if you went to all that trouble, you'd at least knit a nice looking sweater

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Swiffers come in handy. But, we only have a bird. And hardwood floors with an area rug, so I vacuum every day (2 children and a husband who enjoy eating crumbly items + bird fluff = daily vacuum regimen). I use an Electrolux from the 80s that is SO FLY (will totally shell out the $1500 for a new Electrolux when the time comes).

That dog hair sweater/scarf idea is frightening. However, you might be fairly popular with the other neighborhood dogs. I would imagine lots of leg humping. (Here from Lorrie's!)

Heidi said...

Well, you finally found what to get the person on your list who has EVERYTHING!! Eeew Eeew Eeew, and, my mom would totally dig a scarf made out of her crazy dog's fur. Eeew!

Anonymous said...

found u thru "our name is blog" scavenger giveaway..

lynda in claif

Melody said...

HAHA. Cool sign!

Cheers,
melody
mel_88_88@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

that made me laugh!

Crystal(manhattandolls@gmail dot com)

Anonymous said...

OOH. But my dogs shed so much fur...

H.S.
tan.huishan@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I found you through our name is blog! Interesting find!

dancerinthemaking@gmail.com

ZDub said...

Dogs-and their hair-totally suck.

Swedish hookers on the other hand are rad.

OHN said...

Lovely to wear but not in the rain. Have you ever smelled a wet dog????

Certainly you would have a large perimeter of your own space as people would back off at lightning speed.

Anonymous said...

Some of us will do anything for Lorrie's giveaways, but I draw the line at wearing the sweater.

Anonymous said...

I think I saw the same thing Thystle saw on BBC. Can you imagine the conversation with your friends:
Them: Cute Scarf
You: Thanks, I made it myself
Them: Wow, I didn't know you were so crafty
You: Oh yes. I even spun the yarn
Them: Really? I didn't know you had sheep.
You: Oh, I don't. It's from Bootsie, our Lab
Them: (no sounds, just mouth agape & the look of fear in there eyes)
You: I can see how impressed you are. I guess I know what to get you for your birthday!!
Them: Nothing - they've already hightailed it outta there...

Jen said...

That is like 29 different kinds of wrong...

tjames said...

EWWW I'm not okay with that at all

PearlsOfSomething said...

Huh. We call dog hair "an alternative to fiber glass insulation" around here. Everything has a use! ;-)

Racie Lover said...

I still maintain that Paco's Chick Magnet was his Dyson. I mean, a guy who not only owns but USES a Dyson, and doesn't even have to be asked to vaccuum. One day I came home from out of town and he was vaccuming the living room, shirtless and wearing the shortest, tiniest pair of black running shorts you have ever seen.

Hmm, I might have to blog about that...

Jane! said...

I think I'll stick with my furbuster thingy. I only wish it would do the work for you. I got too much lazy to use the brush every day, let alone knit up some booties out of the harvest.

Melaina25 said...

I remember reading about some crazy who wore a sweater made from their dead dog's hair. I have no desire to wear my Yorkie or anything's hair or fur to be honest!

Debbie said...

Wow. Hard to know how to comment on that. I'd sure hate to be the one to collect it and spin it.

Anonymous said...

This is gross!! Would be much better with cat hair


janrinn@comcast.net

RoadBunner said...

I follow dailycoyote.net. She had her coyote's fur spun into wool! Very cool.

allgood said...

I have a closet of garbage bags full - of wolf hair - another project i have been planning for years - everyone thinks i am crazy until they think about it....heehee

allgood said...

- and tell Our Name Is Mud I should win a special prize for the most relevant post to your topic - i just need a spinning wheel!