
I just experienced the State Fair of Texas, which, by itself on a REGULAR fair day is large, alot of walking, and alot of people. (saw the title to this post on a tshirt for sale, and I didn't buy one cuz they didn't have it on a tube top, which is fair apparel) Then throw in the OU-TX game and about 50,000 more people either wearing RED or orange and it is insanity drinking beer. Which I had for breakfast, thank you very much....A Shiner Bock and a Fletchers Corny Dog at 10 am isn't for the meek...it was wall to wall to wall, and then my poor Sooners, held their own until the fourth quarter and I'm sure Texas cheated because they ultimately won, 45-35. Oh well, we have walked out of that game MANY times the winner, and the Texas fans were not obnoxious (most of them). I'd like to comment on some of the clothing, specifically the 'gurls' from UT. Too many cowboy boots with shorts and short dresses, which most of yall are saying 'eeeww' and some of them did look cute, kind of Britney goes Country....HOWEVER, to the ones that looked in the mirror and had second thoughts, go with that gut feeling, ok??? I'm just sayin.....
Every year, the food concessions try to out do the last, kind of the like the next Las Vegas hotel being built has to be the best, and those fair people will fry anything. This year, the big thing was Chicken Fried Bacon, which M2 and I were going to try, but the line was too long each time we went by. We did, however, score a deep fried Snickers, which I thought was gross and M2 loved every bite. By the end of the day, starting with Corney Dogs, we had Kettle Corn, Chicken strips, nachos, pickles, pizza, and hell, I can't remember the rest. We skipped the Fried Lattes, Fried Jelly Beans, Fried Pop Rocks (WTF?) and Fried paper plates. (Not really, thats probably next year.....)
Then I dropped M2 off at her dads to spend the night, and about 8:30 that night she called me as she always does. And tells me she has a stomach ache. REALLY. You think? This is the only time I have truly believed the 'stomach ache' and when I ran down the list from above, she said 'don't remind me...I'm going to throw up.....
Now that is a big day, I tell ya.... better luck next year to my SOONERS.
love this song, kinda fits..
LYG-Bj

15 comments:
I took M to the fair yesterday. The rule was you could only eat food that doesn't occur in the wild. Like turkey legs and fried mashed potatoes. I still feel sick.
Also, have you noticed that it's still 1983 on the midway? Kind of awesome.
if you are talking about the hairstyles on the Carnies, yeah, 83 is a compliment....I saw tatoos in places I would like to forget....two were mispelled, think they did them in their tents at night...
scary
Paco and I were watching the game and I was routing for Texas and being an OU alum, Paco was very glum. I decided that seeing as how the game was very close, I would leave and go to the gym and hope that OU won so I didn't have to sleep on the sofa that night. Imagine my chagrin when 10 minutes later Texas was up by 10 points and then went on to win?!
p.s. I didn't have to suffer the sofa. Paco got over it but I still feel bad for being so ecstatic about the 'horns winning. And I didn't even go to UT.
so you are sleeping with the enemy?
if it's a secret, it's not a very good one. I'm in Phoenix. Which is like Dallas, only with out JR Ewing.
Bittersweet Symphony is one of my all time favorites. We must have kareoke at blogslurr.
Oh, BJ, I thought of you Saturday after checking in on the game... So sorry for you, I know that's shitty. Speaking of the shits, that fair food is some good stuff, and I would have totally waited in line for chicken fried bacon. LOVE BACON.
nice tunes BJ - well done and what really is deep fried chicken bacon ... sounds like the beginning of mad chicken disease ...icckkkk ! le
ps FB is scared of carnies ...
Chicken Fried anything is cooking it like you cook fried chicken, however, thats all the chicken that is involved. From what I could see, they were taking big pieces of bacon, putting them in flour and some seasonings, and then dropping them into the big vat of grease to deep fry.
Makes my stomach hurt. Oh but you got Honey Mustard to dip it in....
to kill the acid reflux...
thanks meg, never the outcome we want from the biggest game of the year....waaahhhh
But we are still in the top five, so there is hope.....!
i'm still trying to figure out how they deep fry coke. are they still doing that at the fair?
BTW - how about those Red Raiders? I must say, I was pretty happy/relieved Saturday.
the deep fried Coke is actually mixed into a batter, and then kind of like a 'float' if you will
more like a float-ER, it looks gross.
Can I just say WHAT WHAT to the little tiny girls (college age and up) that walk around the fair like a Wilma Flintstone eating those damn turkey legs that are bigger than their forearms? I saw that over and over, and I was waiting for them to wipe their mouths on their shirts or something....
don't get that one....
good job on your RRaiders, its still a toss up out there, and we only went down to number 5, so I'm ok with that.
I'll meet you there. Save me a stool near that gambling game thingy.
so BJ I am stuck at Mackay airport - regional queensland glamour centre - not and am about to start work on the alternate 20 questions .... need your input as I think we have a real shot at altering history for the better ...
my first question is ... and be honest this might be tooo real
1) Spit or swallow
came to me (no pun intended) when I was thinking what I would really like to know about some people - you know not their fav colour, not their preferred food ...serious stuff :) soooo whatta ya think ? le
Well, Le, My first thought to that question was OMG......
I'd have to pass and go to #2
And really, my name is BJ, don't you think I'm already famous?
Post a Comment