Tuesday, August 5, 2008

and the beat goes on.........


M2 and I had a lovely dinner and swim last night at the Barnes casa with the girls. Thanks Belle, you are such a great friend to have! But here's the deal. After dinner, the small girls were talking about food they liked and did not, and the subject of Marmite came up. M2 had never heard of it, and Baby Barnes was dancing around the patio expressing how much she loved it!!!
For many Americans reading this (thousands by now I'm sure) Marmite is very British and I don't really know how to describe it. Belle brought out a jar and said is looks very much like tar. Baby Barnes wanted to have some, so suddenly a plate of toast with the tar spread on it appeared on the table. M2 declared 'I'm not touching it' so I had to at least give it a try. The only thing I can even put it up against is maybe beef boullion cubes that have not been diluted.
But worse. So I ask Belle where she buys it and she says Grandma brings it over when she comes from the UK. She said Kroger sells it for about $7 for a little jar, and I said it should be on sale all the time. Belle said, but one, get seven free and I said no, the little sale sign should say
somebody take this shit off our shelves, its free. I'm pretty sure Marmite was the name of a troll that lived in a cave and scraped tar off the streets for a living. Now run out and get you some!

have a lovely day out there- be a fountain, not a drain............
LYG-Bj

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

marmite is a yeast extract, a biproduct of brewing beer. as much as LOVE beer, you'd think I'd like marmite. Nope, sure don't. But my husband LOVES marmite. I know, you're surprised.
I think it's one of those things that you like because you grew up eating it. Like Kraft Mac & Cheese.

Bj in Dallas said...

s
nothing about Marmite is even close to food that should be ingested, as far as my one bite told me. I like the tar from the road theory, much closer to that taste (if I had ever tasted it) than beer. Well, possibly a hot nasty Guiness that someone had mixed with gelatin. Now I'm going to go throw up

Chris said...

How very dare you!!
Marmite has been a staple in British diet since I don't know when.

1902,actually - it is a high source of vitamins, and was a mainstay for kids during both WWI and WWII, as fresh fruit and veg were in short supply.

Most British kids, like Baby Barnes, are started on it before they can walk.

It also probably explains why you will find HQ filled with English blokes downing large quantities of ale - Its in our genes!!!!

Chris said...

From the Marmite website:

Thanks to its high B vitamin content, Marmite did its bit for the UK in two World Wars.

By the time of the First World War it was included in soldiers ration packs. It also became a staple food in hospitals and schools.

During World War II, Marmite became a dietary supplement in prisoner-of-war camps, and in 1999, it was sent to British peacekeeping forces in Kosovo after we received morale boosting requests from the field.


Check it out at: www.marmite.com

Anonymous said...

THEY HAVE A WEBSITE?????????
They should have a very large
SALE
Chris, is there something over here that we eat that you find disgusting? Just trying to compare apples to tar

Chris said...

Humm, where to begin?
Pork rinds, chitterlins, twinkies,the wallpaper paste that you call 'gravy', Yellow cheese and last but by no means least American Beer!!

I am sure that I will come up with a few more, but my stomach is churning just reading the list above.

Your chum

Chris

Racie Lover said...

Chitterlins? I think you mean chittlins, Old Boy. Let's be sure and correctly spell our Disgusting Food groups.

I don't understand Marmite, either, even though I love beef bouillon. Having said that, I would not want to dissolve a bouillon cube in my mouth, which would be on a par with consuming a big dollop of Marmite.

Is it a topping or a floor wax…?

Chris said...

Racie Lover - for someone who lived in Good Ol' Blighty, I am suprised you did not get a taste for Marmite.

Nothing better than a roaring fire and a plate of Marmite on toast!!!

Anonymous said...

Is the fire going to have a place to toss the plate?
BTW, I don't eat chitlins, pork rinds and the rest of your list.
YOU, however, like the tast of tar so I'll just burn some gravy, dump a cup of salt in it, and call it Marmite.

Peace and groovy marmite to you...