I decided to write about this today, because I keep hearing the phrase "Staying in the Moment". The first time I heard it was when Oprah was all jacked up about the book A New Earth, and if you loved it like she did, I'm glad. I just know myself and my attention span. If I have to re-read the same sentence three times and still guess whether I understand it or not, I will not stay for the end of that book. OR, if I read a chapter and then realize that I just (in my mind) reorganized my closet, chose paint colors for three rooms, and decided it was time to trade in my car, I'm not going to get the guts of that message either. That actually irritates me because I wonder why people overthink so much in their lives. I have many layers but it is a different kind of 'deep'. But I do suddenly like the SITM phrase because lately I find myself going through the motions and not really checked into what is going on around me. So I sat down with M2 last night and we watched the Olympics and Michael Phelps and ate cantaloupe on the couch together and I stayed right there the entire time. Going to keep practicing today, and see what is around me that I have been missing. I think many of us, I know I have been doing it, are either looking way down the road, or glancing over our shoulder to see what happened/didn't happen/could have happened. I am going to be right here, in my space and conscious of it, all day long if it kills me.
At least if you were worried, you'll know where I am.
LYG-
Bj

9 comments:
I totally agree, BJ;I find myself not connecting to what's going on around me and looking ahead or backwards but not looking around me at that particular point in time. I think we rob ourselves by not savoring what is happening in that tiny sliver of time and we forget to enjoy it for what it is.
Btw, speaking of books, maybe you should ad a "Book Corner" along with the "Restaurant Corner" to your blog. Most of us are currently reading something that is at least partially redeeming, right? Or maybe we did last summer by the Y pool. We could easily give O a run for her money seeing as how she tends to pick books based on the "touchy-feely" factor and the worse the author is addicted to something or someone the better, right? We can pick books just as easily as Miss Fancy Talk Show Hostess.
Speaking of Oprah, am I right that the only one doing the "ugly crying" in that family is Steadman? No one has weighed in on that one.
why is he crying? missed that edition of the Enquirer-
inquiring minds want to know
No reason in particular. I just think he's the sensitive one and O is the one wearing the pants. I think she only cries on-camera. Just an observation after years of reading the Enquirer headlines while waiting in line at the Thumb.
I was just skimming Douce and while I think it's pretty funny and all, what is the big deal? How did she get to the point in the blogosphere that she has NBC links to the Olympics for pity sake? You are every bit as humorous as she is, BJ. Do you suppose she and Loren Michaels are having a "thing"?
My dear,
The Zen word for what you are describing is translated to "Be Here Now".
You are catching on.....
I knew you would.
Yesterday does not matter, it's over, tomorrow does not matter; it has not happened yet, stay focussed on the present and rejoice the moment, NOW.
Forget Oprah, if you feel the need to read a self help book, I suggest an old copy of "The Road Less Traveled". If you have read it, read it again.
My advise is to just "Be Here Now".
It's hard to do, believe me. Lindy, Libby and I have survived four years of tremendous challenges.
We will talk soon, until then relax "Grasshopper" the time is now and respect that.
Love you,
Daddio
Racie
First of all, I love your hip hop photo- must find one of myself that looks equally cool. Don't know how Dooce makes the big bucks, I think she is really edgy as an ex- Mormon and people like how in your face she gets. I just like to get this shit out of my head! While 'staying in the moment'
we'll get a corporate sponsor one day, like Rice a Roni- I owe Sheila all the coupons so far...
Thank you, Dearie. It is actually a very clever disguise I have perfected over the years to throw my stalkers off the trail. I can hook you up with my tailor.
Mr. Bandana?
No, Mr. Do Rag. Oops, is that un-PC? Maybe it should be spelled Deux Rhag. Something more French-sounding.
Post a Comment