
Tick,tock, watching the clock, but only because I decided today that I am 49.43yrs old. Pretty sad if you are tracking the calendar to see when you are EXACTLY six months away from hitting 50, but, oh, it is so standing on the hill and whistling at me. Some days throwing a few rocks at me. Some days slapping me on the back of the head, then hiding when I turn around. Some days I even smell it, like Channel #5, which suddenly smells good to ME, not on someones MOM like it did when I was growing up. And you can bet when the AARP card shows up, I will have on a black arm band while I write wrong address on the envelope, then secretly flip off the postman for spreading those lies. And the next person that says 'its just a number' to me, I'm going to put your name and address on Craigs list that you are giving away free Wii's, got it?
My good friend Trish, (hey Patty!) who I've known since I was four, has continued to send me a subscription to More Magazine, which I really love. However, it is for women over 40 and some of the articles are too in my face about aging. Somebody shout DENIAL for me, I'm too busy denying that I'm in denial. So I actually sit down and have time to read through the magazine the other night, and the main article was about dressing for your age, blah blah blah, don't try to look like Britney Spears if you are 52. So, Friday, I work at a trade show in Dallas for the Architectural and Design community, and I realized that many of the women here in Texas need that magazine. I saw ruffles in the wrong places, heels that probably put that woman in the hospital by 5, and tight clothes on places that should never see tight. Oy Vey! There was a shade of purple on a woman that would have made a great crayon color and/or match something in a bordello. And last but not least, I run into someone that used to look pretty good, but not so much anymore. She got the trophy out of the whole place for dressing way too young. Actually, we never really liked each other that much (so not a chick) and she gave me the once over like some women do, and I smiled and oozed how nice it was to see her, and smiled to myself when I walked away.
I suddenly realized that I'm aging pretty well and to 'stay in the moment' once again and don't look too far down the road, because Denial is up there somewhere and I will now try to sneak past it when the time comes.
Then I went to lunch with my new friend Karma, who I'm starting to like even more these days.
have a great week- leave a note that you were here
LYG-
Bj

4 comments:
I'm 46.
And a half.
I actually hope I'll look better at 50.
I figure I still have a little time to cram in some running, healthy living, dieting and repenting.
Wish me luck.
kwr221
no kidding, cram is the operative word-
I guess I should remember age-ing gracefully probably includes not to FREAK OUT about it!! Just smile and know that karma is out there lurking......
thanks for writing!
Speaking for the age 52 set, I'm here to tell you that there is a lot that's RIGHT about AARP! Hotel and rental car discounts, a free, fancy magazine with lots of airbrushed photos of 5o-something celebrities, auto and house insurance discounts...the list goes on. So what if maybe once in a while I don't dress my age. My new internist (who is 20 years younger than me) recently complimented me on my navel ring. I told him I'm just glad it doesn't set off the metal detectors at the airport like the Titanium rods in my back have been known to do.
So never fear, Sistah. 50 is no big deal. Neither is HRT, Aleve, Ben Gay or epsom salts, when taken in moderation. Oh, and Chardonnay. Lots and lots of it. For medicinal purposes, of course.
LOL-so funny I was just thinking about this myself tonight. I was mentally compiling a list of things I could no longer do now that I am " older ". Leggings with ballet flats top the list, followed by public displays of affection. I came to the realization that were I to make out with Sexyhusbandomine on the street that quite possibly someone could shout "get a room...Grandma."
Post a Comment