Monday, September 22, 2008

The Basset Hound Shuffle starring Owen Biafranca




Last weekend, we as in M2 and myself and Owen, the Basset on the sled team, packed up and drove to the other side of BFE (DFW) to attend a fundraiser for the North Texas Basset Hound Rescue Group. These are the people that I first contacted when I found him, and then two days later said, sorry, don't need to find him a home, he found one here on my loveseat. They say people do that all the time so they call it a 'non-rescue' .

Anyway, not knowing what to expect, we get there and if you can imagine approx 300 Basset Hounds in a park, all shapes and sizes and colors, wandering around with their owners, it was a complete riot. We had told Owen all week that we were taking him to see his people, and I don't think he was as impressed with the fact that they all looked like him, but he WAS impressed that they were all located at a convenient height for sniffing each other, if you know what I mean. They had a howling contest, a weenie toss contest, a raffle, and then ALL 300 marched around the path in the park. (The only downside to the day was that some people DID resemble their pet, and its not a good thing to look like a Basset Hound. )

heres a link to a video- www.dallasmorningnews.com/video
go there, and then you will see a video from the howling contest.
We didn't enter, Owen was in overload at that point and we will have to start practicing for next year. He was, however, the most handsome, cute, adorable guy at the whole place, if I do say so myself. Thats him in the photo, see for yourself........

9 comments:

Ruby said...

Holy cow, I can only imagine 300 BH in one place! Did you at least take pictures for us? No? Too busy stopping adorable Owen from sniffing other rears? :)

Anonymous said...

He's a lovely boy. Can you imagine if we got Owen & my geriatric Great Dane Callie together?! We could call it 'The Tall and the Short of It'

Bj in Dallas said...

I SUCK about pictures, I'm always without a camera but that will soon change....buying a digital for dummies this week...
I hope the rescue website has photos soon, will share those
S, Callie would have been out of place that day! Everyone would have stared at the 'tall girl'...
It was like 300 speed bumps in one area....and none of them move fast at all....

kristin said...

He's adorable! And I loved the howling contest link.

Anonymous said...

my sister says she can't leave a comment so I'm trying this out

Anonymous said...

my sister says she can't leave a comment so I'm trying this out

Lorrie Veasey said...

I would not have wanted to be on Pooper Scooper duty that day.

Lorrie Veasey said...

PS
Cat people never congregate like this.

Bj in Dallas said...

LV
there were FULL time scoopers walking around, and the responsible owners picked up their own (some acted like they didn't see the rhino poop their dog just offered up)
Cat people....hmmm...I once was a cat person, Nick, 18 yrs old, cremated on Friday the 13th and is in a box on top of my desk. He was a bad ass cat and I did 18 years of cat box duty and I'm thinking not so much in the cat replacement department..at least for the next 18 years...