Friday, September 5, 2008

When Things Aren't Always As They Appear.....







I went to a gathering last night at a very good friends art gallery (Alan Barnes Fine Art, Dallas) and found myself eavesdropping on some of the guests because I was really surprised at the conversation. First of all, since I often think all people my parents age are Republican, that is how I saw this group. So I'm walking and looking at the art and I hear them totally disecting Sarah Palin. She went to 5 colleges, why doesn't she stay home and raise those babies, why didn't she teach abstinence to her own daughter, that plane was going back anyway, and btw, it was a loss of a million dollars to the state, blah blah blah. And I started thinking how many layers deep (and totally varied) peoples ideas and convictions can be about this election. I really don't discuss politics or open a forum to others, like I don't talk about religion or Elvis either.........sorry Alex....


BUT, it was so eye opening to hear these tidbits from this group and made me start thinking about this whole election. I wish Tim Russert were still with us so I could hear his opinion. But, I actually liked Sarah Palin, I like women that are ball busters when they need to be; I don't really care if she can shoot and clean and cook a Moose, good for her. Her husband looks totally competent to be first vp Dad and raise the kids, and they do look like a close family. My thing with her which has been said in the same sentence is that she is a member of the NRA AND Pro-Life; that is what bothers ME, ( yes to guns of any kind, no to my choice as a woman what I do with my body) and I didn't hear any of that from this group. But overall, I don't think it would be scary to have her in the White House if something happened to McCain. Ok, I said it, and its on this blog. I'm still voting as a Democrat, and if this post seems random, my point is to realize there are so many people that for so many different reasons are voting one way or the other, and I guess thats what makes the world go round.


Happy Friday to everyone-
Boomer Sooner, Baby...week 2 of college football and I LOVE IT.....
LYG
Bj

8 comments:

kristin said...

I'm commenting FIRST so I don't have to follow Lorrie. :-P

Bj in Dallas said...

come on tell me what you think

Racie Lover said...

BJ and I were discussing this last night at Alan's gallery and I agree on the NRA / Pro-Life dichotomy. What is wrong with that picture?? Anyway, I won't diss the Palinator other than to say I don't think she is qualified to take the reins if The Old Git does a head plant in his Wheaties one morning. There, I said it.

On a different note, I was telling BJ that the thing I was worried about happening has come to pass. That if I started a blog it would then start to feel like homework and then I wouldn't want to post anything. Her advice was just to get out there and write something, anything. It doesn’t have to be earth shaking or Pulitzer Prize- winning. Just write it down, Girl. So I am going to do that and stop whining and loitering around BJs and Lorrie's blogs. I am going back to my keyboard and write my own version of “War and Peas”.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about eavesdropping. You see a group; automatically think you know what they'd say/think/do and then -- they surprise you. THAT is what makes the world go 'round.

But down to the real question, and I apologize in advance for the length: I've got to admit I am really a fence-percher this week. I've been reading & reading & reading...blogs, news sites, fact-checking websites...and every time I think I form an opinion, another piece of information blows my way and then my position changes. I just read the Smartini post today, and I am with Penelope.

While I have my opinions on EVERYTHING, I guess the thing I have the hardest time with is what I have a hard time with in most elections: Do you pick the devil you know or the devil you don’t?

Do I vote for a person who I honestly trusted as a politician for years, because I felt like he saw issues individually and actually voted in the a way he felt was in best interest of the country, not always following the party line? Whether or not I agreed with that decision, the integrity behind the vote was there. (That is, of course, before – and this is only my opinion – he sold his soul to his party to get the nomination).

OR, do I vote for a person who I really believe is an agent of change, someone who will get this country back to focusing on the issues that domestically need attention and rebuild our value as a nation globally? But who I really know nothing about substantively, other than the fact that he can inspire a rock with a single speech?

Either choice is a leap of FAITH. Which one is the least likely to let me down?

I sometimes wish we could have 2 presidents: one to focus on the domestic issues, and the other to handle our nation’s place in the global world. But then I suppose that would make me decision even harder.

Anonymous said...

Again, sorry for the long post. But you are my outlet, sister!

I guess I should take the name of this blog to heart and "Don't Overthink It"

Bj in Dallas said...

this one is worth overthinking....
or at LEAST thinking about, which it blows me away when I talk to people and they don't vote...
Go with your gut, I want some change, I'm tired of idiot George W (he owned a baseball team for Gods Sake, before we elected him Governor) lots of experience there.. I'd rather Laura be Pres than him- did I say I think he is an idiot? I just want someone that thinks about our shitty economy, the icebergs melting, and the price of gas dipping into my cosmetic budget. and whether or not Brittany is drinking again...
I'm kidding, S, thanks for your comments- well done

Racie Lover said...

As a recovering Republican, I stopped drinking their Kool-Aid after Bush Sr's first 4 year stint. I went with my gut and voted for Slick Willy. As it happens, it was the right thing to do as far as his presidential abilities were concerned. His personal life not so much. Main point being that I quietly jumped ship and voted for the person I thought could take us all in a better direction and I really think he did. So Sheila, do please listen to your head and your heart and vote for the person with whom you would entrust your most precious and sacred possession. Someone you would give a key to your house, your ATM pin number and your sweet dog to babysit. No one lesser will do.

Lorrie Veasey said...

damn you kristin. No fair-you figured out how to use bloglines and I could not. RSS feed to me stands for rusty, senile and sloooooooow. Stop showing off.

OMGosh Gracie- I am so totally psyched for your blog!

Sheila.....erm......YOU NEED A BLOG dear one.

Good Gravy it's a shame I never took up dealing pot in college. I obviously could have been retired by now.

PS note how I skillfully types several paragraphs of meaningless comment without an iota of substance regarding anything of importance. It's a Gift.